JACKSONVILLE, Fla., — The United States Coast Guard will suspend its search for survivors of the cargo ship El Faro at sunset Wednesday, officials told the crew’s family members.

The Coast Guard made the decision after searching six days for the 33 crew members of El Faro, a 790-feet commercial tanker that went missing last week during Hurricane Joaquin. The ship set sail on Sept. 29 and two days later reported that its engine had failed and that it was taking on water and listing 15 degrees.

Its last known location was 35 miles north of the Crooked Islands, in the Bahamas. Debris was recovered that suggested that the ship sank, the Coast Guard said.

Read the full story at the New York Times >>

A collection of stories from guest authors.

Join the Conversation