The U.S. Coast Guard rescued two Maine lobstermen Friday after a rogue wave swamped their boat.

The Miss Mae & Son adrift. USCG photo.

The mayday call from the 45-foot Miss Mae & Son came in at approximately 3:15 p.m. Friday, Coast Guard officials said. The fishermen reported that a rogue wave had hit the boat, and the pumps could not keep up with the water.

A 47-foot response boat was dispatched from Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor to the lobster boat’s position approximately 17 miles offshore York, Maine. Upon arrival, the Coast Guard found the two fishermen standing atop the pilot house in full survival gear. 

The fishermen jumped into the water and the boat crew pulled alongside to bring them on board. The water temperature was 42 degrees and the air temperature was 37 degrees, the Coast Guard said.

The fishermen were brought back to Station Portsmouth Harbor with no reported injuries.

The Coast Guard did not release the names of the fishermen. According to Coast Guard records, the Miss Mae & Son is owned by Christopher T. Eager of Eliot.

"The lobsterman did all the right things — activated their emergency personal indicating response beacon, called for help on the radio, and wore the proper survival gear," said Petty Officer 2nd Class Mike Mathlin, the coxswain of the 47-foot response boat that rescued the fishermen.

Sector Northern New England issued a broadcast to mariners informing them that the Miss Mae & Son was taking on water and adrift with nobody on board.  

TowBoatUS Boston reported on Facebook that the company had been enlisted to recover the stricken lobster boat. On Sunday morning, they posted a video of the boat being towed in.

Have you listened to this article via the audio player above?

If so, send us your feedback around what we can do to improve this feature or further develop it. If not, check it out and let us know what you think via email or on social media.

Jessica Hathaway is the former editor in chief of National Fisherman.

Join the Conversation