Ocean Conservancy and Earthjustice have filed an amicus brief in federal court opposing a recent decision to allow expanded recreational harvest of South Atlantic red snapper, raising concerns that the move could lead to overfishing and conflict with federal law.

The brief was filed in Southeastern Fisheries Association v. Lutnick in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. At issue are exempted fishing permits approved May 1 for Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. The permits significantly extend recreational red snapper seasons in the South Atlantic, a change that conservation groups argue could exceed established harvest limits.

According to Ocean Conservancy, the current annual catch limit for the recreational sector is 22,797 fish. The group cited recent landings data showing that a two-day season in Florida alone resulted in 24,885 fish landed—already surpassing that limit. Using that rate, and projecting across a longer season, Ocean Conservancy estimates total landings could reach as high as 485,000 fish over a 39-day period.

In the filing, the organizations argue that such harvest levels would violate the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, which requires managers to prevent overfishing and rebuild depleted stocks.

“Opening the red snapper season for two months — when last year it was two days — is fast-tracking the crash of this species,” said Meredith Moore, senior director of fish conservation at Ocean Conservancy.

Andrea Treece, a senior attorney with Earthjustice, said the use of exempted fishing permits in this case undermines the intent of federal fisheries law. “The Fisheries Service is trying to use these so-called ‘exempted’ fishing permits to create an escape hatch,” she said.

The legal brief also argues that expanded access through exempted permits could disrupt long-term rebuilding efforts for South Atlantic red snapper. The stock was reduced to roughly 11% of its historical spawning population in the 1990s and early 2000s, prompting strict management measures, including shortened seasons, under a rebuilding plan that extends through 2044.

Ocean Conservancy points to changing fishing dynamics as an added pressure. With population growth and advances in fishing technology, overall effort in the recreational sector has increased, particularly in an open-access fishery where participation is not capped.

The group also highlighted concerns about stock structure, noting that while more fish are being observed as the population rebuilds, many are younger and have not yet reached peak reproductive capacity.

“Older fish are the backbone of a healthy fish population because they produce more eggs, spawn more reliably, and help stabilize populations during environmental change,” said Dr. Michael Drexler, a fisheries scientist with Ocean Conservancy.

Supporters of the exemptions, including some fishing interests and state managers, have argued in other forums that expanded seasons reflect increased abundance and provide greater access for anglers. Those perspectives were not detailed in the amicus brief but remain part of the broader policy debate surrounding red snapper management.

The case centers on whether exempted fishing permits can be used to extend fishing opportunities beyond federally set limits without violating statutory requirements. The court’s decision could have broader implications for how such permits are used in federal fisheries management going forward.

Ocean Conservancy’s Florida conservation director, J.P. Brooker, said the issue ultimately comes down to balancing access with long-term sustainability. “This is about protecting fishing for generations to come, not just this summer,” he said.

Have you listened to this article via the audio player?

If so, send us your feedback around what we can do to improve this feature or further develop it. If not, check it out and let us know what you think via email or on social media.

Join the Conversation

Yes