Four crew members of the 83-foot dragger Laura out of Kodiak were rescued from Black Rock and transported with no reported injuries on Monday, Nov. 1, after the vessel reportedly ran aground.

The Laura reportedly ran aground on Monday morning, Nov. 1. U.S. Coast Guard photo

A timely call to the Coast Guard, crew preparedness and the captain’s full slate of safety and survival gear played a key role in the rescue.

“The crew had survival suits, flares, and strobe lights, which aided in locating and rescuing the crew safely and efficiently,” said Lt. Jacob Rettig, an Air Station Kodiak operations duty officer. “We want to stress the importance of having proper survival gear on board in case of emergencies.”

The Coast Guard Sector Anchorage command center received a call from the Laura’s skipper at 7 a.m. The vessel had run aground, and the crew planned to abandon ship in life rafts.

Infrared cameras show the crew walking onshore The air temperature was 39 degrees, water temperature 43 degrees, and winds at 24 mph winds with visibility less than 10 miles.

A Coast Guard helicopter crew used infrared cameras and the help of the good Samaritan fishing vessel Stillwater to locate the Laura’s crew after they abandoned ship. U.S. Coast Guard photo

Two Coast Guard aircrews were able to locate the fishermen with the assistance of the good Samaritan F/V Stillwater crew. A rescue swimmer helped hoist the crew members to safety.

The trawler was reportedly built and launched as the La Fourche at Bishop Shipbuilding in Aransas Pass, Texas, in 1967.

The Coast Guard is reporting a maximum potential of 4,000 gallons of diesel onboard the Laura with no reports of pollution at press time. The Coast Guard is scheduled to investigate the cause of the incident.

Have you listened to this article via the audio player above?

If so, send us your feedback around what we can do to improve this feature or further develop it. If not, check it out and let us know what you think via email or on social media.

Jessica Hathaway is the former editor in chief of National Fisherman.

Join the Conversation