Body of fisherman recovered off Nantucket

NANTUCKET — The body of a fisherman who was swept overboard after reportedly becoming entangled in gear was recovered after a nearly four-hour search Monday off Nantucket, according to the Coast Guard.

Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England received a report at around 9:15 a.m. that a fisherman aboard the 42-foot fishing boat No Regrets had become caught in the boat’s nets and pulled overboard about one-quarter mile west of Great Point, according to a statement from the agency.

The Nantucket Fire Department responded to Coast Guard Station Brant Point at 12:50 p.m. after the man had been recovered, Fire Chief Paul Rhude said. The man was declared dead and his body was brought to the morgue, Rhude said.

The Coast Guard also confirmed the death but did not release the man’s name.

Read the full story

About the author

Jessica Hathaway

Jessica Hathaway is the editor in chief of National Fisherman. She has been covering the fishing industry for 13 years, serves on the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute’s Communications Committee and is a National Fisheries Conservation Center board member.

© Diversified Communications. All rights reserved.