Stubborn fire burns aboard fishing boat

According to an East Jefferson Fire-Rescue news release, workers on board the Wild Wind were welding in a forward cabin at the main deck level Monday afternoon when sparks flew down a chimney-like shaft and ignited combustible material below.

The workers used a garden hose in an attempt to put out the fire but were unsuccessful.

In the meantime, workers on a nearby boat called 9-1-1, and firefighters from East Jefferson Fire-Rescue, Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue and Naval Magazine Indian Island responded to the call.

After ensuring that all workers were accounted for, firefighters began an offensive attack on the fire, which they said was a difficult process because of the tight quarters on the 70-foot vessel.

Read the full story at the Peninsula Daily News>>

About the author

© Diversified Communications. All rights reserved.