Written by Jen Finn
January 4, 2013
NEWPORT — First, the season was delayed. Then, it was delayed again. And now that the Dungeness crab season is finally under way, the disappointments keep coming.
"The quality in Coos Bay is just as good as you'll ever see," said Rick Lilienthal, an Oregon Dungeness Crab Commission commissioner and crab fisherman. "They are beautiful. But we just don't have very many. I saw empty pots on the first pull, which is something I don't think I've ever seen. It's pretty much over with."
The season began on Monday just after midnight, after poor crab quality in some test sites forced a pair of two-week delays from the usual Dec. 1 start.
The low supply seems to be true from one end of Oregon to the other.
In Astoria, it's taking twice as many pots this year as last year to fill the boat with crab, said John Corbin, a fisherman of 35 years and also a member of the Oregon Dungeness Crab Commission.
"I've only had one of my boats come in and deliver one time," Corbin said. "It definitely took a lot more pots to fill up his boat than last year. We've filled the boat with 500 pots before. This year it took 1,000. I'm not necessarily calling it a bust, but the first pick wasn't the greatest."
Read the full story at the Oregonian>>
The New England Fishery Management Council recently elected Dr. John F. Quinn of Massachusetts and E. F. “Terry” Stockwell III of Maine to serve respectively as chairman and vice chairman in the year ahead. The two have led the Council since 2014 but reversed roles this year.Read more ...
Vigor will debut an affordable 142-foot freezer longliner designed specifically for North Pacific fishing at the 2016 Pacific Marine Expo in Seattle.
Read more ...