Written by Linc Bedrosian
NEW BEDFORD — A federal appeals court Wednesday swept aside a lawsuit by this city and Gloucester challenging the new system of regulating the Northeast fishery.
The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals struck down every one of a number of arguments the cities and their co-plaintiffs in the industry made in their appeal.
The court upheld a 2011 lower court decision in the suit brought by the two ports as well as fishermen and fishing groups. Broadly speaking, the court ruled that the government stayed within the letter and spirit of the 1976 Magnuson-Stevens Act, which was designed to end overfishing in the Northeast.
Mayor Jon Mitchell said late Wednesday that he had not seen the ruling but was disappointed. "We'll take our time now to go through the opinion and see what our next steps are," he said.
Read the full story at Standard-Times
Fishermen throughout the Gulf of Mexico are praising Louisiana officials for a series of strong decisions last week that have broken the deadlock of red snapper management in the Gulf of Mexico.Read more...
According to the Portland Press Herald, the Maine Seaweed Festival has been canceled this year due to a rift between the event’s organizers and seaweed harvesters.Read more...