National Fisherman

CHATHAM — State fishery officials came into town Thursday night looking for ideas on how to spend $8.2 million in federal aid intended to help struggling fishermen.

For years, the Cape's fishing fleet has suffered steep financial losses as iconic fish stocks such as cod were not rebuilding as expected and as fishermen were dealt drastic cuts in their quotas.

In 2012, then-Commerce Secretary Rebecca Lent officially issued a fisheries disaster declaration in New England. Finally this year, Congress approved a $32.8 million aid package to six New England states, with Massachusetts receiving $14.5 million of the initial two rounds of a $22 million disbursement.

Chatham fishermen at the Thursday meeting were highly critical of the first phase of the aid package, which will soon issue a $32,000 check to each of the 191 qualifying permit holders whose vessels each caught at least 5,000 pounds of cod, haddock, flounder or other bottom-feeding fish, known collectively as groundfish, in any one year between 2010 and 2013. Fishermen said many on the Cape, which once had one of the top cod and groundfish ports in the country in Chatham, didn't qualify for the direct aid. In recent years, they had to fish for other species, like dogfish and skate, because there were no more cod.

"This (aid package) took care of a lot of guys who came into the business in the last three years. They're going to get a lot of money," said Chatham fisherman Mike Abdow. "I sold my permit in 2011 because I didn't get enough quota, and there were no fish out there."

Read the full story at Cape Cod Times>>

Want to read more about Federal disaster aid? Click here...

National Fisherman Live

National Fisherman Live: 3/10/15

In this episode, Online Editor Leslie Taylor talks with Mike McLouglin, vice president of Dunlop Industrial and Protective Footwear.

National Fisherman Live: 2/24/15

In this episode:

March date set for disaster aid dispersal
Oregon LNG project could disrupt fishing
NOAA tweaks gear marking requirement
N.C. launches first commercial/recreational dock
Spiny lobster traps limits not well received

Inside the Industry

Alaska Gov. Bill Walker is required by state statute to appoint someone to the Board of Fisheries by today, Tuesday, May 19. However, his efforts to fill the seat have gone unfulfilled since he took office in January. The seven-member board serves as an in-state fishery management council for fisheries in state waters.

The resignation of Walker’s director of Boards and Commissions, Karen Gillis, fanned the flames of controversy late last week.

Read more...

Keith Decker, president and COO of High Liner Foods, will take over for the outgoing CEO, Harry Demone, who will assume the role as chairman of the board of directors. The Lunenburg, Nova Scotia-based seafood supplier boasts sales in excess of $310 million (American) for the first quarter of the year.

Read more...
Try a FREE issue of National Fisherman

Fill out this order form, If you like the magazine, get the rest of the year for just $14.95 (12 issues in all). If not, simply write cancel on the bill, return it, and owe nothing.

First Name
Last Name
Address
Country
U.S. Canada Other

City
State/Province
Postal/ Zip Code
Email