National Fisherman


The state hopes to hold to its previously announced schedule of getting the $32,500 fishery disaster checks in the hands of eligible fishermen by Oct. 1, but there will be a certain amount of red tape before anyone gets their money.
 
Paul J. Diodati, director of the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, told about 70 local fishermen and stakeholders Monday night that the $6.3 million earmarked for direct financial assistance will move to the state from NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service through a grant process.
 
That means that the state must complete a grant application to NMFS that could take up to 60 days to process before Massachusetts receives the first wave of its $14.5 million portion of the $75 million in fishery disaster assistance appropriated in January by Congress, Diodati said.
 
“Once we get the money, there won’t be a lot of hesitation on the state’s part,” Diodati said, adding that the state anticipates charging less than 1 percent administrative overhead for administering the grant process and the ultimate distribution of the funds.
 
Read the full story at Gloucester Times>>

Want to read more about federal disaster aid? Click here

Inside the Industry

Governor Bill Walker has officially requested that the federal government declare a disaster for four Alaska regions hurt by one of the poorest pink salmon returns in decades.

Read more ...

The New England Fishery Management Council recently elected Dr. John F. Quinn of Massachusetts and E. F. “Terry” Stockwell III of Maine to serve respectively as chairman and vice chairman in the year ahead. The two have led the Council since 2014 but reversed roles this year. 

Read more ...
Try a FREE issue of National Fisherman

Fill out this order form, If you like the magazine, get the rest of the year for just $14.95 (12 issues in all). If not, simply write cancel on the bill, return it, and owe nothing.

First Name
Last Name
Address
Country
U.S. Canada Other

City
State/Province
Postal/ Zip Code
Email