National Fisherman

British oil major BP failed in its attempt to halt payments from a commercial fishermen's compensation fund, after alleging some of those named as suffering losses since the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill do not exist. 
 
A US Federal court denied BP's request to stop payments from the $2.3bn (€1.7bn, £1.4bn) fund, as the company alleged that some individuals who supposedly suffered commercial loss from the spill did not exist. BP argued that the $2.3bn amount was inflated, as more than half of the 40,000 victims represented by attorney Mikal Watts are not real.
 
The company added that Watts used fake Social Security numbers and other fraudulent documents in the compensation scheme.
 
The company has already paid more than $1bn from the Seafood Compensation Fund to the victims, and it wanted the second round of payments suspended.
 
However, district Judge Carl Barbier in New Orleans, who is overseeing litigation related to the oil spill, said a suspension of payment is unnecessary.
 
Barbier added that most of Watts' clients were deckhands and other workers who were usually employed on a temporary basis with little or no evidence to prove their past employment and losses suffered. They are not likely to get a large percentage of the $1bn-plus amount remaining in the fund, according to him.
 
"They were at best the tail wagging the dog. Maybe the flea on the tail wagging the dog," Barbier said.
 
Read the full story at International Business Times>>

National Fisherman Live

National Fisherman Live: 3/10/15

In this episode, Online Editor Leslie Taylor talks with Mike McLouglin, vice president of Dunlop Industrial and Protective Footwear.

National Fisherman Live: 2/24/15

In this episode:

March date set for disaster aid dispersal
Oregon LNG project could disrupt fishing
NOAA tweaks gear marking requirement
N.C. launches first commercial/recreational dock
Spiny lobster traps limits not well received

Inside the Industry

Alaska Gov. Bill Walker is required by state statute to appoint someone to the Board of Fisheries by today, Tuesday, May 19. However, his efforts to fill the seat have gone unfulfilled since he took office in January. The seven-member board serves as an in-state fishery management council for fisheries in state waters.

The resignation of Walker’s director of Boards and Commissions, Karen Gillis, fanned the flames of controversy late last week.

Read more...

Keith Decker, president and COO of High Liner Foods, will take over for the outgoing CEO, Harry Demone, who will assume the role as chairman of the board of directors. The Lunenburg, Nova Scotia-based seafood supplier boasts sales in excess of $310 million (American) for the first quarter of the year.

Read more...
Try a FREE issue of National Fisherman

Fill out this order form, If you like the magazine, get the rest of the year for just $14.95 (12 issues in all). If not, simply write cancel on the bill, return it, and owe nothing.

First Name
Last Name
Address
Country
U.S. Canada Other

City
State/Province
Postal/ Zip Code
Email