National Fisherman

Using commercial gill nets in Florida waters -- banned for 18 years -- suddenly became legal for nearly a week in early November.
 
No reports their use were seen in Florida Keys waters before the ban was reinstated Nov. 6 by an appeals court ruling, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
 
"If there were, we didn't hear about it," said Officer Bobby Dube, FWC spokesman for Monroe County. "Now we're back at it" to enforce established rules, he said Tuesday.
 
Current law allows fishermen to have two 500-square-foot nets with 2-inch squares. Fishermen want the squares to be 3 inches. They believe nets with larger mesh sizes (gill nets) can catch target species -- primarily mullet -- while allowing juveniles to escape.
 
For several days after Leon County Circuit Court Judge Jackie Fulford ordered the longstanding net ban lifted in late October because of what she described as a "legal absurdity," FWC officers were prevented by her decision from enforcing the rules.
 
But on Nov. 6, the First District Court of Appeal reinstated a stay on lifting the ban pending further legal review.
 
The Florida Keys Commercial Fishermen's Association joined other state commercial groups to seek status as an intervener in support of changing laws on gill nets.
 
"Nets can be a responsible method of harvest with reasonable limitations in place," said Bill Kelly, the group's executive director. "What the industry is seeking is to have the FWC [board of directors] sit down with fishermen to discuss how to better manage fisheries."
 
"The industry hopes to come to the table with the FWC and interested environmental groups to see if there is common ground to better manage underutilized fisheries like Spanish mackerel."
 
Read the full story at the Florida Keys Keynoter>>

National Fisherman Live

National Fisherman Live: 3/10/15

In this episode, Online Editor Leslie Taylor talks with Mike McLouglin, vice president of Dunlop Industrial and Protective Footwear.

National Fisherman Live: 2/24/15

In this episode:

March date set for disaster aid dispersal
Oregon LNG project could disrupt fishing
NOAA tweaks gear marking requirement
N.C. launches first commercial/recreational dock
Spiny lobster traps limits not well received

Inside the Industry

Alaska Gov. Bill Walker is required by state statute to appoint someone to the Board of Fisheries by today, Tuesday, May 19. However, his efforts to fill the seat have gone unfulfilled since he took office in January. The seven-member board serves as an in-state fishery management council for fisheries in state waters.

The resignation of Walker’s director of Boards and Commissions, Karen Gillis, fanned the flames of controversy late last week.

Read more...

Keith Decker, president and COO of High Liner Foods, will take over for the outgoing CEO, Harry Demone, who will assume the role as chairman of the board of directors. The Lunenburg, Nova Scotia-based seafood supplier boasts sales in excess of $310 million (American) for the first quarter of the year.

Read more...
Try a FREE issue of National Fisherman

Fill out this order form, If you like the magazine, get the rest of the year for just $14.95 (12 issues in all). If not, simply write cancel on the bill, return it, and owe nothing.

First Name
Last Name
Address
Country
U.S. Canada Other

City
State/Province
Postal/ Zip Code
Email