Written by Jen Finn
NEW BEDFORD — Three fishermen aboard the scalloper Friendship were treated for smoke inhalation Tuesday after a blaze erupted in the engine room as the vessel was heading out on a fishing trip, fire officials said.
District Chief Scott Kruger said six firefighters on the Fire Department's 41-foot boat boarded the fishing vessel inside the hurricane barrier and extinguished the fire. The ship then made it to the state pier under its own power.
Crew members thought they had the blaze aboard 99.1-foot Friendship extinguished, but it flared up again and firefighters used a dry chemical (carbon dioxide) to put it out, he said.
Read the full story at Standard-Times>>
Fishermen throughout the Gulf of Mexico are praising Louisiana officials for a series of strong decisions last week that have broken the deadlock of red snapper management in the Gulf of Mexico.Read more...
According to the Portland Press Herald, the Maine Seaweed Festival has been canceled this year due to a rift between the event’s organizers and seaweed harvesters.Read more...