Written by Jen Finn
July 15, 2013
BOSTON (AP) — A plan to allow certain New England fishermen back into fishing grounds where they've long been banned was so objectionable to environmentalists that two groups sued to kill it months before it was officially released.
And after the proposal was unveiled last week, fishermen who once backed the idea called the plan a useless gesture that does nothing for their struggling industry.
None of the criticism surprises the Northeast's top fishing regulator, John Bullard. But he says it doesn't mean the proposal to reopen 3,000 square miles of Atlantic Ocean can't work.
"We recognize it's probably not going to make anyone happy," Bullard said. But, he added, "We think it's a responsible way to make abundant stocks accessible to people."
Read the full story at Seacoast Online>>
The New England Fishery Management Council recently elected Dr. John F. Quinn of Massachusetts and E. F. “Terry” Stockwell III of Maine to serve respectively as chairman and vice chairman in the year ahead. The two have led the Council since 2014 but reversed roles this year.Read more ...
Vigor will debut an affordable 142-foot freezer longliner designed specifically for North Pacific fishing at the 2016 Pacific Marine Expo in Seattle.
Read more ...