PORT TOWNSEND — A commercial fishing vessel on the ground at the Boat Haven caught fire when welding sparks ignited combustible material in the hold, firefighters said.
According to an East Jefferson Fire-Rescue news release, workers on board the Wild Wind were welding in a forward cabin at the main deck level Monday afternoon when sparks flew down a chimney-like shaft and ignited combustible material below.
The workers used a garden hose in an attempt to put out the fire but were unsuccessful.
In the meantime, workers on a nearby boat called 9-1-1, and firefighters from East Jefferson Fire-Rescue, Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue and Naval Magazine Indian Island responded to the call.
After ensuring that all workers were accounted for, firefighters began an offensive attack on the fire, which they said was a difficult process because of the tight quarters on the 70-foot vessel.
Read the full story at the Peninsula Daily News>>
National Fisherman Live: 10/21/14
In this episode:
North Pacific Council adjusts observer program
Fishermen: bluefin fishing best in 10 years
Catch limit raised for Bristol Bay red king crab
Canadian fishermen fight over lobster size rules
River conference addresses Dead Zone cleanup
National Fisherman Live: 10/7/14
In this episode, National Fisherman Publisher Jerry Fraser talks about the 1929 dragger Vandal.
NOAA and its fellow Natural Resource Damage Assessment trustees in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill have announced the signing of a formal Record of Decision to implement a gulf restoration plan. The 44 projects, totaling an estimated $627 million, will restore barrier islands, shorelines, dunes, underwater grasses and oyster beds.
The Golden Gate Salmon Association will host its 4th Annual Marin County Dinner at Marin Catholic High School, 675 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., Kentfield on Friday, Oct 10, with doors opening at 5:30 p.m.