Written by Jen Finn
Fishermen returned to the waters of Tabusintac, N.B. on Tuesday, three days after three young lobster fishermen were lost at sea.
While the business of fishing and selling lobster has resumed in the area, the tragedy is weighing heavy on the fishermen's hearts.
"Well, everybody just feels terrible...can't believe that it happened and it's going to take a while to get over it,' says fisherman James MacEachern. "Every time we go in and out of the gully that's all you're thinking about."
The gully is a strip of water off shore where boats must go to access fishing grounds.
Samuel-René Boutin, 23, of Saumarez, Alfred Rousselle, 32, of Brantville and Ian Benoit, 35, of Tabusintac were killed when their boat hit a sandbar near Tabusintac on Saturday.
Their bodies were recovered from the shoreline over the weekend following an extensive search of the area.
Many fishermen in Tabunsintac knew the men lost at sea.
"You don't feel as happy to go fishing as it was before, that's for sure," says fisherman Adam Robichaud. "Because, like, here we're a big family. Everybody helps each other so it's a big loss for sure."
Read the full story at CTV News>>
Fishermen throughout the Gulf of Mexico are praising Louisiana officials for a series of strong decisions last week that have broken the deadlock of red snapper management in the Gulf of Mexico.Read more...
According to the Portland Press Herald, the Maine Seaweed Festival has been canceled this year due to a rift between the event’s organizers and seaweed harvesters.Read more...