Written by Linc Bedrosian
Gov. Deval Patrick has been urged by Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley to request that President Obama "ask" the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to institute lesser catch reductions than are expected on Gulf of Maine cod and other stocks for the fishing year that begins May 1.
The catch restrictions expected from the Obama administration within days are "essentially a death sentence to the 80,000 jobs created by the industry and a loss of $2 billion to the commonwealth," Coakley wrote to Patrick on April 10.
State officials said the governor was preparing a definitive response.
"This remains an important issue for the Commonwealth and the Patrick-Murray Administration will continue to vigorously advocate for the fishing industry which is important to the character and economic vitality of Massachusetts," Reginald Zimmerman, a spokesman for the governor, said in an email.
Read the full story at Gloucester Times>>
Fishermen throughout the Gulf of Mexico are praising Louisiana officials for a series of strong decisions last week that have broken the deadlock of red snapper management in the Gulf of Mexico.Read more...
According to the Portland Press Herald, the Maine Seaweed Festival has been canceled this year due to a rift between the event’s organizers and seaweed harvesters.Read more...