Written by Jen Finn
BOSTON — Federal fisheries managers have officially announced proposed cuts in catch limits that they acknowledge will devastate the New England fleet.
The cuts include a 77 percent year-to-year reduction in the allowed catch of cod in the Gulf of Maine and a 61 percent cut on Georges Bank cod.
Tom Dempsey, a member of the New England Fishery Management Council, said the decision to approve the cuts was painful but necessary, but he also said that the cuts may not do enough to save the current fish stock.
"It doesn't guarantee that codfish are going come back. Both the Gulf of Main codfish stock and Georges Bank codfish stock are in bad shape," Dempsey explained. He cited that Georges Bank only has seven percent of a healthy codfish stock.
The size of the proposed cuts have been known for weeks, but are now open for public comment until April 15. The 2013 fishing season starts May 1.
The cuts come after poor assessments of the health of cod and other key species. Fishermen say the reductions will force most of the fleet out of business.
Read the full story at WBUR>>
Legislators from Connecticut and Massachusetts complained about the current “out-of-date allocation formula” in black sea bass, summer flounder and scup fisheries in a letter to the U.S. Department of Commerce earlier this week.Read more...
The Southeast Alaska Fishermen’s Alliance recently announced that the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation has awarded the organization a Hollings Grant to reduce whale entanglements in Alaska salmon fisheries by increasing the use of acoustic whale pingers to minimize entanglements in fishing gear.