Written by Adrianne Madden
Friday, 29 October 2010
It appears New England groundfishermen aren't alone in their distaste for catch share management. West Coast groundfishermen say they're suing the Department of Commerce over a catch share program that's slated to begin Jan. 1, 2011.
The San Francisco-based Crab Boat Owner's Association, the Port Orford (Ore.) Ocean Resource Team, and the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations are suing the Department of Commerce to halt the catch shares plan. They say it will consolidate much of the fishing fleet, privatize public fish resources, deny many fishing ports access to fish in adjacent waters and cause massive job losses.
"If we didn't act to stop this travesty," says Larry Collins, a San Francisco fisherman and President of the Crab Boat Owners Association, "ownership of the resource will consolidate into the hands of a few operators in a few ports along the coast, leaving many coastal fishing communities, including our own Fisherman's Wharf, with no access to our own local fish." The catch share system, the plaintiffs say, will eliminate thousands of coastal jobs, but won't help strengthen groundfish stocks.
"This plan imposes a radical shift in the way our fisheries have been conducted. Since ownership of these quotas — which are being given to a select group of trawl operators — is not limited to those actually fishing, our next generation of fishing men and women will likely be seafaring sharecroppers forced to fish quotas held by processors, bankers and speculators," says Zeke Grader, executive director of the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations. "This is social engineering, not conservation."
National Fisherman Live: 3/10/15
In this episode, Online Editor Leslie Taylor talks with Mike McLouglin, vice president of Dunlop Industrial and Protective Footwear.
National Fisherman Live: 2/24/15
In this episode:
March date set for disaster aid dispersal
Oregon LNG project could disrupt fishing
NOAA tweaks gear marking requirement
N.C. launches first commercial/recreational dock
Spiny lobster traps limits not well received
Alaska Gov. Bill Walker is required by state statute to appoint someone to the Board of Fisheries by today, Tuesday, May 19. However, his efforts to fill the seat have gone unfulfilled since he took office in January. The seven-member board serves as an in-state fishery management council for fisheries in state waters.
The resignation of Walker’s director of Boards and Commissions, Karen Gillis, fanned the flames of controversy late last week.
Keith Decker, president and COO of High Liner Foods, will take over for the outgoing CEO, Harry Demone, who will assume the role as chairman of the board of directors. The Lunenburg, Nova Scotia-based seafood supplier boasts sales in excess of $310 million (American) for the first quarter of the year.Read more...