National Fisherman

Mixed Catch 

jerryJerry Fraser is NF's publisher and former editor.

 

 

Top 5 Mixed Catch Stories

If, like me, you are less than fastidious in your housekeeping duties, you must sometimes swing into emergency cleaning mode when company is coming.

Pressed for time, you cram all old newspapers and magazines, empty soda bottles, plates and glasses, dirty clothes and the like into a spare closet.

You know your house isn't really clean, but the mess is now out of sight. At least on the surface things look clean.

One wonders if such a strategy will be employed with the oil that spewed into the Gulf of Mexico from the now-capped Deepwater Horizon well. This week Jerry Greenberg, a contributor to our sister publication WorkBoat magazine, had an interesting post on his WorkBoat.com blog regarding where all the oil has gone. http://www.workboat.com/blogpost.aspx?id=4294998209

According to a recent report from the National Incident Command, Greenberg writes, of the 4.9 million barrels of oil released into the gulf, 25 percent evaporated or dissolved, 17 percent was recovered directly from the wellhead, 16 percent naturally dispersed, 8 percent was chemically dispersed, 5 percent burned and 3 percent was skimmed.

So that's 74 percent of the oil accounted for. The remaining 26 percent is classified as "residual" oil, "which includes oil that's on or just below the surface as a light sheen, weathered tar balls and oil that's washed ashore, been collected from shore or is buried in sand and sediments," Greenberg writes.

Hence, 1.27 million barrels are still uncollected or unaccounted for. So at 42 gallons a barrel, by my calculations, we're talking a paltry 53.3 million gallons still at large.

Hardly anything, really...

And hey, the mess is now out of sight, so everything will look OK to the tourists. At least on the surface, things will look clean.

But we know it's not really clean. And sweeping the remaining oil under the carpets, stuffing it under the couch cushions or hiding it in the closet won't do.

National Fisherman Live

National Fisherman Live: 3/10/15

In this episode, Online Editor Leslie Taylor talks with Mike McLouglin, vice president of Dunlop Industrial and Protective Footwear.

National Fisherman Live: 2/24/15

In this episode:

March date set for disaster aid dispersal
Oregon LNG project could disrupt fishing
NOAA tweaks gear marking requirement
N.C. launches first commercial/recreational dock
Spiny lobster traps limits not well received

Inside the Industry

SeaShare, a non-profit organization that facilitates donations of seafood to feed the hungry, announced on Wednesday, July 29 that it had partnered up with Alaska seafood companies, freight companies and the Coast Guard, to coordinate the donation and delivery of 21,000 pounds of halibut to remote villages in western Alaska. 

On Wednesday, the Coast Guard loaded 21,000 pounds of donated halibut on its C130 airplane in Kodiak and made the 634-mile flight to Nome.

Read more...

The New England Fishery Management Council  is soliciting applications for seats on the Northeast Trawl Survey Advisory Panel and the deadline to apply is July 31 at 5:00 p.m.

The panel will consist of 16 members including members of the councils and the Atlantic States Fishery Commission, industry experts, non-federal scientists and Northeast Fisheries Science Center scientists. Panel members are expected to serve for three years.

Read more...
Try a FREE issue of National Fisherman

Fill out this order form, If you like the magazine, get the rest of the year for just $14.95 (12 issues in all). If not, simply write cancel on the bill, return it, and owe nothing.

First Name
Last Name
Address
Country
U.S. Canada Other

City
State/Province
Postal/ Zip Code
Email
© 2015 Diversified Business Communications
Diversified Business Communications